The Healing Process for a Child
The Healing Process for a Child When They Have Experienced Pain
When a child has had painful emotional experiences, he or she is going to need someone to patiently guide them from understanding their pain into healing from their pain. It is a process for a child, just like an adult, to learn how to work through their emotional experiences, especially the painful or traumatic ones.
How Do You Help A Child Heal From Pain?
Here are the steps for a healthy healing process for a child to work through painful experiences with a safe, trusting adult in his or her life:
- Understanding: Help the child walk through the pain by helping him or her understand what happened that caused the pain (explain, talking about it, reading about it).
- Healthy Expression of Emotions: Allow the child to express his/her emotions (anger, sadness, grief) in a safe place in response to what happened to him or her.
- Acceptance: Come alongside the child to help him or her accept the reality of what happened (i.e. abuse, neglect, abandonment, etc.).
- Healing: Help the child move from a place of acceptance to receiving healing. Healing can be a variety of things for a child in replacing pain. Some ways a child can heal is by writing it all down or coloring it out and throwing it away, getting it out of his/her heart and mind by talking about it with someone he/she trusts, letting go of the pain everyday and releasing it like a balloon into the sky, finding hope in being out of the pain and choosing a new focus on something good in his/her life.
- Create A New Pattern: Then, the child has moved from understanding to healing and created a pattern of learning how to work through his/her pain into healing. This pattern can be lifelong and set the child free from the pain they experienced as a child and into adulthood.
Healing Is A Choice. The key is to choose to deal with the pain, preferably when it happens, so that a child can heal through it. Establishing a healthy pattern of healing from pain in his or her life creates a lifelong pattern of health, healing and freedom from pain.
By Wendi Miller 2016